From:
Jay Banks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:05:31 -0600
> From: "Paul Sand" <[log in to unmask]>
> So you never know eating veggies if you do
> yourself more harm or more good ;)

But with the exception of extreme cases, like the Eskimos
(Inuit), you would find that almost all hunter gathers ate veggies,
fruit, and nuts when available (And even with the Eskimos, you
will find that they ate berries when available).

I think if you could find one of the most remote tribes on the
face of the earth, as untouched by Westerners as possible, you
would find these people eating vegetables and fruit and not
just meat and fat.

Everyone always likes to point to the Pottenger/Price studies,
which show that there are no strict vegans/vegetarians in
hunter-gather tribes ... Well, if that is true and something
to point out, then I'm sure it goes the other way, and I
would bet good money that none of the tribes studied
ate meat and fat alone (unless they were forced to live
in some extreme conditions, as pointed out above).

> But most plants besides so called good micronutritions contain lots of
> potentially harmful ones. >

ANTI-NUTRIENTS AS PROTECTORS

Some of the substances commonly referred to as anti-nutrients are actually
powerful cancer-protecting phyto-chemicals. These include protease
inhibitors and tannins. The problem in most diets is that we don't get
enough of these substances.

 Substantial research shows that protease inhibitors are one of the most
powerful anti-carcinogens we have in our arsenal. They have proven to be
particularly protective against cancer of the colon, breast, and prostate.
67-72

 Tannins have also been shown to give substantial protection against cancer
(including cancer of the stomach and lungs) when ingested orally.72 Tannins
and other polyphenols may play a role in fighting tooth decay. Evidence
shows that some tannins inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause tooth
decay.73

Phytates, like tannins, may also interact with digestive processes in a
beneficial way. Small amounts in food slow down the absorption of sugars and
regulate insulin levels. This is beneficial in the prevention and treatment
of diabetes and hyperlipidemia (high blood fats).74

Small amounts of protease inhibitors, tannins, and phytates are beneficial
and can be considered to be a normal part of our nutritional ecology.

Jay Banks
www.roadtowellsville.com