From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 06:28:43 -1000
Erik:
>I gather you live in Hawai'i.  I have considered moving back to Oahu.  Lived
>there for about 9 years or so.  One thing that kept me from doing it so far is
>I don't know how hard the paleo diet is to follow there.  Can you fill me in?

Oahu? Don't know much about it except that it is very pricey as I'm sure
you know. We live on the big island and I haven't left since we got here a
couple years ago so its all I really know about Hawaii.

Kinda ironically, the big island has some of the best and cheapest beef
available in the USA. Marrow bones for 30 cents/lb, whole aged loins for $3
or 4/lb, burger available everwhere $1.50-80/lb--this from pastured only
animals who are only given medicine if something goes wrong (pink eye is
kinda common).

There is also some very expensive local lamb. Otherwise most of the meat
comes from the mainland :(

The local fruits are nice but expensive in stores as are veggies shipped
from the mainland. Seafoods are plentiful but I miss the fatty stuff like
mackeral. Most people experience sticker shock when visiting a Hawaiian
supermarket for the first time.

But the best part: no frost, no high heat, so keeping your own animals is
easier. We have ducks, sheep, and chickens and we barely know what we're
doing half the time. ;) Very easy to have your own fruit trees as well.
Avocados are everywhere along the particular roads and it is easy to
harvest your fill much of the year.

The other islands are more crowded and more expensive I think. If you want
cheap food, move to southern CA, but you'll have to pay through the nose
for land and water. Here in east Hawaii, land is cheap, water plentiful,
and the supermarkets aren't. So overall, in many situations, the big island
has some of the best food in the USA, but not the cheapest unless you are
willing to grow your own.

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft