From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:47:08 -0500
Thomas Dekany wrote:

>I know you are asking Todd but I can tell you that if you have been
>using regular reps for a long periods of time, then it will make a very
>big difference. But only for awhile. Just like anything else. The
>problem with any method is our bodies ability to ADEPT. That is why real
>experts advise using different methods every 6 to 8 weeks for maximum
>muscle growth. It is a killer workout though, but you still do 8 to 10
>reps per sets, with very low weights.
>10 seconds up, 10 seconds down.

Yes, I think that's true.  At this point, my goal isn't too add much, if
anything, to my muscle mass.  I'm a 50 year-old philosophy prof who
doesn't need to pull up any tree trunks.  I just want to maintain what I
have, and feel good.  I've done various forms of weight training over
the years and I think I've added all the muscle I'm likely to add, and
that's fine with me.  I'm 6'1" tall and my LBM (measured by immersion)
seems to vary between 180 and 185 lbs.  I figure that's enough.  It's
much harder to keep my body fat down, but I've found, over the years,
that if I stay pretty paleo, keep my carbs under 70g (typically 50-60),
and do weekly strength training, I can hold my weight at about 218 lbs.,
which is about 16-17% body fat.  I can push it down lower by going
hungry and exercising more, but frankly it's not worth it to me.  I'm
content to stay at this level.

Todd Moody