From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 1999 19:22:44 -0400

> >From the personal point of view there is no interest in longevity.
> Once You are dead, You don't know what You could have missed the
> rest of the years, good or bad.
> But health while living matters.
> So I think these long living longevity discussions are of no interest.
>
> - Hans

Hans,  but don't you agree that "early" death, let us say for example at age
45,  is a very foreshortened relative to the quality of life that we are
seeking to be able to be active, productive, and creative beyond the child
rearing years.  Certainly, if we all had 5 or 10 children by our mid
thirties,  it would tend to ensure survival of the species.   I am interested
in health into my years of  "elder" status, where I am able to help my child
or grandchild cope and enjoy life athletically and intellectually while doing
so.  You agree that health while liveing matters but isn't the period of
living i.e. perhaps 85 or 90 as opposed to 45 or 50 also relevant to our
overall quality of life since most of us are "wage slaves"  for at leat 30
years or so.  (please note that many US professional and self employed
individuals are lucky to have a week or so of "holiday"  per year.  Rick