From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 07:25:33 -0500
On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Ben Balzer wrote:

> Think you'll find they (ie the experts) say that about our prehuman
> ancestors. humans are the most feared carnivore of all- and have wiped out
> most of the world's megafauna- and continue to do so to smaller critters
> now.

This very topic is a subject of continuing dispute among the
experts.  That is, there is much disagreement on the extent to
which early humans depended on hunting of megafauna to make a
living.  There is some discussion of this in Jared Diamond's _The
Third Chimpanzee_.

On a related subject, there is evidence that people with type A
blood produce less gastric HCl than type Os.  Whether this would
affect their ability to tolerate rotten meat is another question,
and I don't know the answer.

Todd Moody