From:
Jana Eagle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 18:24:26 -0600
This is another perspective...

I mentioned in an earlier post that I am far more afraid of toxins and
pollution, and hormones in my food than I am of getting parasites.
When I was first trying out eating raw food I was really concerned
about parasites.  However, I understand that parasites only eat
decayed tissue, they do not harm living tissue.  So in other words, if
your body hosts parasites, they are helping you by consuming decayed
tissue in your gut.

From this perspective, parasites are beneficial.  If they are
eradicated by herbs, they will return if there is still a friendly
environment for them to live in.  The way to prevent parasites is to
clean up and heal the gut so there is no place for them to lodge and
no undigested food in the colon for them to eat.  cooked food is often
undigested because the enzymes are destroyed, that is one reason i
began eating more raw foods.

For me, I had a shift in my understanding, that natural ways of living
are in balance with the environment.  and that this includes our
internal ecosystems.  living in balance with the environment means, to
me, that my immune system is strong and that i do not have any trouble
avoiding sickness...  it also means that my gut is healthy, that foods
high in bacteria provide healthy gut flora, and that parasites have a
job to do and that is why they exist.  You know, nature does have a
balance to her that I trust in.  not that i would knowingly ingest a
parasite but i am no longer living in fear of them.  it is quite
liberating, actually.  that says nothing of all the environmental
pollutants that exist in our food these days but I try to avoid them
as best i can.

Jana