From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:17:05 -0500
> I don't know why, but I find the idea of cooking with goose fat completely
> unappealing. (but I don't have a problem cooking onions in bacon
grease...)
> Perhaps it's the idea of buying cans of fat. However, it seems my
vegetable
> choices are failing me. What about *not* cooking with fat?

Jewish cooking has traditionally used chicken fat -- "schmaltz". Regional
French cooking uses goosefat extensively.

But about no fat...I used to cook without fat when I was low calorie eating.
You "sautee" onions in water for instance instead of in fat. It isn't the
same of course, the onions don't carmelize as well and don't taste as
intense.

Any limited diet requires adjustments and of course you can cook without
fat. You need to find substitute processes and often they are not as tastey
as the analogous process with oil. Steaming takes the place of true
sauteeing, and steaming to my tastes is not as tastey.

Most of what you give up is related to a reduction in the carmelization
process.

--Richard