From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:21:08 -0700
At 03:45 PM 7/20/99 -0700, Mary wrote:
>I gathered blackberries today along a stream, I got so scraped up. Do you
guys wear gloves? >Can you dry blackberries on
>your dehydrator??

Dear Mary,

I've gathered blackberries for years, and find that the city park is a good
area, as are places along streams, right in town. Maybe a few other people
gather, but there always seem to be plenty for all, and most go to waste.

The way I keep their vicious recurved thorns from making me miserable is
this:

1. Wear a long-sleeved blouse, of fairly tough fabric.

2. Have a basket or bag you can carry on your arm. Mine is plastic and sort
of oblong. I used to use it for art supplies. Drop them into this, and keep
both of your hands free.

3. (This is the good part:) get one of those "grabbers" that mechanics use,
with the flexible cable and the four little jaws that come open when you
press the button on the end. When you see a luscious bunch of berries that
are just out of reach, or are buried in a bunch of vicious canes, just grab
the branch above the bunch of berries, and pull it toward you until you
can easily reach what you want. Also, by holding onto the branch, you will
prevent it from jaggering you on the rebound as you pull off the berries.

4. Keep clippers with you. You can cut obstructing branches that are in your
way.

Once I have the berries, I usually eat some fresh, but cook the rest. I used
to make syrup by adding a little sugar,  but I don't do that any more. What
I do now is to put them (unwashed, they usually don't need it) in a glass
casserole dish with a lid, and microwave them until they are sort of cooked.
Then I run them through a strainer to remove the seeds. I scald old juice
bottles or jelly jars, and pour the hot syrup into them, which usually seals
them just fine. The original lids usually have enough of a rubber liner that
they seal if you put the lid on while the contents are hot.

You can use this syrup straight, enjoying the tartness, but I also
find it very pleasant added to ice and sparkling water on a very hot day.

You can also get a tart juice by taking the strained seeds and pulp, adding
water,
and straining it again. It's quite nice chilled, or added to other juice, too.

Enjoy one of the benefits of living in the Northwest!

Susan Kline