From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 04:05:51 -0400
On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 02:28:06 EDT, Gawen Harrison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If a cow ate meat and was able to kill us, IT WOULD.

Cows do eat meat.
Don't you recall that they are fed "meat flour"? This was the cause of
"mad cow disease" in Europe (possibly deer in the US too, as came to
my mind by the "mad deer" posting on this list last month).
And is a bull *able* to kill? What about the torrero?
However, cattle don't have any instinct urge to kill and eat humans,
like cats have for mice and birds.

Are *you* able to kill and eat (have you tried)?
If you see a deer in the wildlife, do *you* feel an instinct urging you
to kill *and* eat it?

I understand that some feel so.
I'm sure some have tried it, liked it and even could do the butchering and
eating it raw immediately in the follow up. Ok then.

On the other hand,
it looks to me, that even passionate hunters prefer to kill less "bloodyly"
by a gun from the distance and
then carry the carcass to a butcher (to have cut the muscles out)
then denaturating (frying) a rectangular piece of muscle before eating it.
This are three levels of separation from our instincts.

Personally I'm not able to do any of these 3 (kill, butcher or eat).
But i know that some feel well comfortable with this, and i then
wouldn't want to complain about it.

How did the diverse homo "ancient" feel about it?
Like cats looking at birds? Or like chimps without bananas?

Just one more view of the scene.

regards

Amadeus S.
(I like what Cristy wrote in the Animal thread)