Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:24:21 -0400
KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL posted this:
>>I'm in New Mexico still trying to find a safe and affordable water
softener and R/O drinking water system for my house here.  There is a
wonderful 20% off sale during Feb. on a system that some of my friends have
in their homes:  the water softener uses potassium chloride to soften the
water throughout the house and then an R/O system under the sink for
drinking water.

My reply:
Cordain is not the only one whothinks that chloride (including potassium
chloride) are hazardous to health and will leave a net acid load to my
kidneys.  Btw:  Potassium in vegetables, fruits, fish, and meats does not
occur as chloride.  Several of Cordain's colleagues who have published
articles in nutrition journals and conducted studies on diet and acid load.
It's not just a pet theory.

I suggest that people who use water softeners have the plumber put a by-pass
on the water line going to the sink so that it does not go through the
softener.  In this way you avoid drinking the softened water, which contains
added chloride.  If you buy an RO, you would have that installed under the
kitchen sink, so that the hard (unsoftened) water goes through this unit,
providing your water for cooking, drinking, and ice.

I suggest looking into a water softener that does not use any form of
chloride.   There is a non toxic way to deal with hard water that I read
about in Natural Home Magazine.  I don't know enough to report on it, but it
is apparently low in cost, w/no maintenance and worth checking in to.
MagneTec  1-877-854-SOFT (7638).  www.scaleaway.com

Good luck solving your h20 problem.

Rachel