Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:45:00 -0400
Richard wrote:

<<.Obviously the paleo way is to eat foods high in potassium, which includes
most fruits and vegetables. No need for Lite Salt.

But, if you are starting paleo low carb, to lose weight, you will probably
find that you are low in potassium and sodium in the first weeks or months,
and if you don't take extra potassium and sodium you might feel very weak.
Especially if you become more conscientious about drinking water, as many
people do, in larger quantities in order to get rid of ketones and lose
weight faster.

Using lite salt and salt in your cooking can get you through this period.
But without it, you can be in serious trouble because the K and Na levels in
your system can fall to dangerously low levels, causing your blood pressure
to fall too low, because of the diuretic tendency of low carb diets in
general. Eventually I think your body adjusts to the low carb diet if you
stick to it, and you probably won't need lite salt.>>

  I can't see it, Richard.  Lite Salt is a human-made, overly-processed,
chemical-laden product that is hard on the kidneys, as is the overly
processed common table salt.  A paleo low carb should include plenty of
green, leafy vegetables for health. Celtic Sea Salt will provide added K and
Na if needed.

Hell, I can do a liquid diet and lose weight.  This doesn't mean I'm healthy
in the process.

Siobhan