From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:37:12 +0100
Well, I have good reason to not believe in the acid-alkali theory. On an admittedly solely anecdotal level, I've heard a zero-carber report that he actually was highly acidic (re saliva in the mouth, as I recall)while on a vegan diet before going zero-carb. Plus, the body tends to keep blood  within a very narrow PH range regardless of what one is eating, so I don't see how the body couldn't self-regulate acidity/alkalinity elsewhere. Also, the Inuit didn't have bone-problems and were noted for having the lowest rate of dental caries of any tribe(or was that the 2nd-lowest?)

From a raw perspective, raw meat has a much lower PH value than cooked meat, and the more processed the meat becomes the more acidic it will be. So a diet of , say, 89% raw animal food and 10% raw plant-food(c 1% being cooked food), like what I'm doing now, would presumably not be that much more acidic than a cooked diet consisting of 65% cooked meat and 35%(raw or cooked) fruit and veg.

Geoff

> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:21:15 -0500
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Paleo Diet offers the net-base balance needed
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> How do you all-meat folks (or virtually no carb folks) avoid the risk
> of kidney malfunction, osteoporosis, age-related muscle wasting,
> kidney stones, hypertension, exercise-induced asthma...and calcium
> excretion, which can come from a net-acid producing diet? The
> following points on acid-base (alkaline) balance, from Dr. Cordain's
> recent newsletter, were not answered by the raw meat and no carb folks
> in this Digest.
>
> “After digestion and metabolism, foods release acidic or basic
> substances into the circulatory system. With a heavy reliance on
> fruits and vegetables, our hunter-gatherer ancestors maintained a
> net-base-producing diet. In contrast, modern diets tend to be
> net-acid-producing with heavy reliance on dairy products and cereal
> grains and few servings of fruit and vegetables. The Paleo Diet offers
> the net-base balance needed to reduce the risk of kidney malfunction,
> osteoporosis, age-related muscle wasting, kidney stones, hypertension,
> and exercise-induced asthma...Calcium excretion is also increased when
> people eat a net acid yielding diet, which is key to bone health.
> After the nutrients in the foods we eat are metabolized, they report
> to the kidneys as either acid or base. If the diet yields a net acid
> load, the acid must be buffered by the alkaline stores of base in the
> body, such as calcium salts, which are released from bone and then
> eliminated in the urine, gradually leading to osteopenia (low bone
> mineral density) and eventually to osteoporosis. ..Acid producing
> foods include hard cheeses, cereal grains, meats, fish, eggs and
> salted foods.----- Fruits and vegetables are the only alkaline,
> base-producing foods.----- Energy-dense, nutrient-poor foods (such as
> separated fats and oils and refined sugars), although they have a
> neutral effect in terms of acid-base balance, displace fruits and
> vegetables, and hence contribute to the diet's net acid load...”
>
> Ken

With Windows Live, you can organise, edit, and share your photos.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/