From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:41:14 -0500
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 10:08, Lynnet Bannion wrote:

<snip>

>He takes a little whack at Cordain in the book, which
>was interesting. Nabhan points out that paleolithic
>peoples living in different places had different
>foods available to them, therefore there is no ONE
>Paleo diet.
>
>    Lynnet

I can't see in Loren's book, nor on his website or in his published papers where Loren Cordain
even indicated there was ONE Paleo diet.

What his book does is to pick out the essence of the various known and postulated Paleo diets,
apply his extraordinarily sophisticated knowledge of human physiology and contemporary
pathologies, add to this his recommendations regarding exercise (he sees exercise and diet as
inseparable; a focus on only one is, for him, to lose the Paleolithic balance) and then mix all this in
a combination that met his publisher's requirements (e.g., although he points out that for most of
Homo evolution, meat was eaten raw, not cooked, he does not advocate eating raw meat in his
book).

Sure, he does say that "Paleolithic people had no choice but to eat the Paleo Diet".  But it would a
perversely literal reading of his entire book to interpret this as implying that the recipes in
his book were those eaten by our ancestors 500+ generations ago.  He recommends organic
produce bought from local markets so is implying the Paleo truth that food availability varied with
the seasons.  So he is saying pretty much what Nabhan is saying.  It's pretty easy to criticize an
author if you criticize something he didn't say.

Keith