From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:59:41 -0500

>I've found the same problem exactly.  My first try was low-carb paleo
>all the way; I lost 30 pounds,
>then really hit the wall.  No weight came off, I was no longer in
>ketosis, though eating the same
>diet at about 10% carbs, 20% protein, and 70% fat.  I was also feeling
>cold all the time and started to lose
>hair.  Finally something inside just said "enough".  I went back to
>eating carbs, selected grains, dairy,
>even chocolate.  Put most of the weight back on eventually.  Last year I
>was able to get back on the wagon,
>lost  30 pounds, started losing hair, felt cold, and felt I just HAD to
>eat more food.  Now I'm
>halfway back up through the 30 lbs, and pretty unhappy.  It's hard to
>describe this "wall" feeling:
>irritability, nervousness, just the feeling that I can't concentrate on
>anything until I eat more.
>
>I've ordered Faigin's book to see if I can get insights to avoid this
>derailment.  I certainly feel
>better overall when I eat paleo and low carb.  I seem to hit the wall at
>the same weight each
>time, but it is 20 pounds over a normal weight for my height and frame,
>so I can't say that my
>body is resisting going below normal.
>
>    Lynnet

My gosh Lynnet -- we sound like we've had virtually identical experiences.
My low-carb doc has admitted to me that the hair loss issue is relatively
common and
he told me that he honestly doesn't know why it happens to some people and
not to others.  I have not discussed the possibility that too much protein
in
relation to fat could be the problem or that perhaps one simply needs
to "shake things up" with a carb-up or two.  Since hair is made of protein,
at first blush, it sounds implausible that too much protein could cause a
hair loss problem.  But if in fact excessive protein in the context of very
low carbs and insufficient fat causes the body to use up more thyroid
hormone, then the theory doesn't sound too crazy.  I'm hopeful that we're
bound to find a paleo strategy that works to get us to our goals without
hypo symptoms.  Thank you all for posting your thoughts and suggestions --
this is so helpful.