From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 1999 21:51:38 -0700
Kim Tedrow wrote:

It would be interesting to see statistics on rise or fall of percentage of
these types of diseases in children, adolescents, and young adults,  esp.
since the industrial revolution and refridgerated food transport (1935 or
so), which radically altered the standard American diet.  It is my
impression

Around the turn of the century, new technology made inexpensive grain and
sugar refining possible for the first time in history.  Along with these
changes came the invention of artificially saturated oils (trans fats).
Before the turn of the century, doctors saw nearly no heart disease as we
know it.  Later in the century, I think during WWII, autopsies of young
American men killed in battle in their early twenties revealed the beginings
of atherosclerotic lesions in their arteries.  As far as I know, this is a
condition that does not exist, even in its early stages, among middle-aged
and elderly modern foragers, not to mention those in their twenties.

B. Lischer