From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:28:24 -0500
michael raiti wrote:

>>For weight lifters, I have to ask, what is the
>>point? If you want to
>>build giant muscles, don't expect the paleo diet to
>>help.
>>

>The point of weight lifting for me isn't to build big
>muscles as an ends to itself.  It seems from
>everything that I've come across that man in paleo
>times was very active and burned a lot of calories.

Not long ago, O'Dea did a study of urban Australian aborigines who
agreed to live in the traditional manner for a month or so.
Surprisingly, it was learned that they used *fewer* calories in the
outback, hunting and gathering, than they did in the city.  I think
Marshall Sahlins' _Stone Age Economics_ also makes the point that
hunter-gatherers had plenty of leisure time.

That being said, I doubt they were *sedentary*.  I think a very
important reason to do weight-lifting or other strength training is to
increase insulin sensitivity and improve glucose metabolism.

Most people, after a year or so of weight training, will not add any
more muscle to their bodies.  They reach their genetic ceiling.  But
they will surely *lose* muscle if they don't do strength training,
especially if they are middle-aged or older.  So another reason for
strength training is simply to maintain muscle mass for as long as possible.

Todd Moody