From:
Mike Horlick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:15:46 -0400
Hi,

Just would like to make some comments/observations about some of the
replies I got from my post on "Nutrition Action and other things".

In North America the white man basically forced the native population off their
land. In a sense they were displaced to reservations. I don't want to compare
any people to animals but could you not say that farming displaced the animals
that once were there? Yes, I realize that animals were killed because of
farming but it is no longer happening day in and day out on the same piece of
land (as oppossed to meat production).

I live in the suburbs in a detached home which occupies a modest piece of
land. Once, this land could have been occupied by people and many animals.
Should I be feeling guilty about this and donate my land back to the Indians
with the provision that only native plants and animals be allowed back on it?

Human population growth, it seems to me, is the result of farming and farming
requires land.

I argue that certain areas should be free from human occupation (protected
national parks).

If all the 6 billion inhabitants of Earth became zero-carb eaters would we have
the land or the resources to feed these people?

Can anyone suggest some reading material that discusses the possibility of a
non-farming solution to feeding mankind?

I'm not sure how much of this is valid but what about the case of over-fishing
and the people of Japan? Is this a case where fish re-population can not keep
with human demand?

Also, someone made an argument that vegetation seemed to have the same
"value" as an animal. Sorry, but I can't equate a carrot to a cow and I don't
believe most people think like that.

Anyways, all this aside, I still am trying to go as low-carb as possible.

Regards,

Mike

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:29:14 +0100, Geoffrey Purcell
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Precisely. Agriculture has done a huge amount of damage to local wildlife. As
a kid, I used to travel from London to Birmingham by plane and was horrified by
the vast monoculture of hedge-free empty fields(after harvest), realising that
little if any animal life lived there, due to pesticide-residues etc.By contrast,
many hunters, such as those in royal families in past centuries, would routinely
set aside special forests so that wild animals could thrive and repopulate the
area after each hunting season.