From:
John Holman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:01:04 +1100
22/2/04 3:28 PM Tom Bridgeland wrote:

> One small point to remember, the "control" rats were fed "ad libitum"
> which means, as much as they want. I guess rats are not much different
> from people, in a boring environment, with all the food they can eat,
> what do they do? Not too healthy. Calorie restricted may be much
> healthier than daily overeating.

Is the above the same study that is cited on the Weston Price site?? If so I
add couple more of pars for comment:

=====snip======

 Stephen R. Spindler, professor of biochemistry at the University of
California at Riverside is the current guru of calorie restriction.
"Low-Calorie  Diet Slows Aging in Mice in Study," claimed a recent
headline.17 According  to the article, "Putting elderly mice on a very
low-calorie diet  for as little as four weeks reversed many of the changes
in the activity  of various genes that had occurred during normal aging..."
The  resesearchers were not looking at actual signs of disease, nor were
they  measuring lifespan, but instead focused on the analysis of 11,000
different  genes using a method called microarray technology in which
Spindler has large financial holdings.

 Actually, none of these studies is particularly relevant to humans  eating
real food because the rat and mice chow used is a highly artificial
concoction straight from Macro-Nutrient Land. The chow used in Ross's  rat
studies consisted of 22 percent casein, 6 percent corn oil and 59  percent
sucrose! Thus, calorie restriction in these studies means  restriction of
isolated protein (produced at high temperatures that produce  carcinogens),
vegetable oil (invariably rancid) and refined sugar (completely  devoid of
nutrients and a stress on any living system). If this research  has anything
to teach us, it is that the calories humans of every age  should restrict
are the empty calories of white flour and sugar in processed  foods; instead
we are being urged, over and over again, to cut back on  fats.

The above is an extract from :

http://www.westonaprice.org/nutrition_guidelines/macronutrientland.html

section: YOU ARE OLD, FATHER WILLIAM

John Holman