Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 07:58:41 -0700
Dear Paleo List,

I would like to discuss paleo diet and autism and treatments. There is
apparently a kind of "miracle" treatment we are hearing about, calling secretin.

Apparently, the flood of antibiotics given to babies, destroys their
digestive tract, esp their secretin.(some children, not all of course, and
particularly those labelled autistic or learning disabled.

My question is, would a paleo diet slowly heal the digestive tract and the
body restore gradually its own secretin?

I know of no one on the autism list who is on a diet like mine. Almost all
include carbs like rice, many do exclude wheat and milk products. I am not
judging them, just saying that carbs do not work for us at this point...

Anyway, in some ways, on some days, my son has practically recovered on the
paleo diet with LOTS of pork  fat, some raw (venison powder), a variety of
meats including chicken, turkey, crab, shrimp, pork, and water.(and pork
chips!) As long as you stay on this diet. If you put carbs back in, you lose
him. If you put wheat back in, forget  it!!

 His academics are at grade level.

Compared to most of the kids on the Autism List, you would say he has recovered.

This is not to say, there aren't huge, HUGE  deficits! The life in his eyes
that he had before antibiotics and vaccines has never come back. Energy
levels are low, but steady throughout the day. Some of this could be
permanent damage from the antibiotics and their consequences, such as
candidiasis.

The kids they are talking about who apparently are healed or improved with
secretin cry every day. My son cries more than other children. However,
crying/irritabilitly has gone down, as yeast levels have gone down..

Anyway, would appreciate Todd's, Ray's, and you other brilliant people on
the paleo list, your thoughts. Do you withhold a treatment that others find
promising, or pursue it?

Mary