Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 12:14:21 -0500
I would suggest short duration, moderate to high intensity workouts.  What I envision is 10-15 minute mini-workouts.  This may work best if you have a home gym, because you can work out, then return to your daily activities.

I worked out while I was losing on a low carb, paleo diet a few years back with good success, but the relative unavailability of glucose to fuel the anaerobic lifts will limit you somewhat.  That's why I would suggest figuring out what exercises you want to do for the week, and then radically split it up.  Do one, then stop.  Do another high intensity set or group of sets later in the day; then stop.  That way, the relative lack of glucose will not limit your workout as much.

This method is probably more paleo than traditional 1 - 1 1/2 hour workouts 3-6 times a week.  Typical high intensity paleo activity was typically of short duration (with some exceptions, like hauling the mammoth carcass back to camp).

Art DeVany has some good pre-release exercise information from his upcoming book, Evolutionary Fitness.  If you've seen his pictures, I don't think you want to be any bigger than he is!  As I recall, he suggests about 3 sets per exercise divided by very short breaks (5-20 seconds) and never going to complete failure.  If you can't find this online, let me know and I'll see if I can dredge it up.

My advice is based on the assumption that your paleo is fairly low carb.  Another way around the relative lack of glucose issue is to keep your intake of paleo, low-glycemic carbs at a moderate level and it should be less of an issue.  Alternatively, you may want to strategically time your carb intake (cyclical ketogenic diet).

Congratulations on your decision to get into the gym.  If you (like me) haven't been in the gym for awhile, you will definitely see quick gains and your diet will not be a barrier at all.  Maybe this will inspire me to do the same!

John