From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:00:20 +0100

Re comment:- "> So people who lose 100+ lbs have just lost water weight? Weight loss at
> the beginning of a low carb diet is mainly water...as id the weight loss
> at the beginning of any diet."

I didn't say that. Obviosuly, there are always other factors such as obesity gained via food-intolerance to non-palaeo foods like grains, cooked-foods etc. But it is striking how quickly people who do low-carb diets in the short-term, very quickly regain their former weight when readding any carbs. That indicates water-retention as a common cause, if not the only one.

re calorie-counting:- Unfortunately, in recent times, scientists have cast very serious doubt on the notion that obesity is solely due to the amount of calories consumed(indeed the calorie myth seems to be more of a vegetarian-insipried myth, rather than a low-carb one). Come to think of it, many low-carb gurus like Taubes dismiss the whole myth re calories being linked directly to obesity:-

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/do-calories-really-count.html

re comment:- "There is quite a bit
> of evidence that HG tribes, once they started eating modern foods, also
> started experiencing diseases of civilization (diabetes, etc) and
> obesity...but none of it that I've come across demonstrates that the
> reason for this was due to transitioning from a diet of raw to a diet of
> cooked food."

Nobody is suggesting that eating a cooked diet makes it impossible to lose weight. It just makes it more difficult. And, much like Weston-Price, you are ignoring a rather obvious point, that hunter-gatherer tribes of those days did a huge amount of daily exercise which would have easily got rid of the problem of obesity(plus they endured frequent famine, which would have been a rather important factor, as well!).

Lastly, there is actually no real conclusive scientific evidence re the problem of obesity, largely because the calorie-myth is still being peddled with very poor evidence to back it up.

Geoff

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/