Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:20:33 -0700
R > my point was that just because something has been bred for a more
favorable food usage doesn't mean we should not eat it (ie, sweeter
fruit, heavier beef cattle, larger eggs from a chicken, etc.).

Agreed.  We shouldn't let perfectionism stop us from making better food
choices.  A starch-laden banana's better than a snickers bar.  I've
said before that you can do extremely well simply avoiding grains,
dairy, legumes, and frankenfats and not worrying about anything else.
You may still deal with some overweight and some insulin resistance as
evidenced by high blood glucose readings, but you'll be a helluva lot
better off than eating a SAD diet.

J > The only essential food item for humans is meat.

R> Yes, but it also bears mentioning that even on an all-meat diet, you
need some variety.

Variety never hurts.  But perfect world is Rosedale's three of four pack
of card sized portions of protein with the remainder as healthy fats.
Which is why pemmican's the perfect food and something you could eat
*exclusively* and live a very healthy life.  Agreed that those organ
meats are fantastic for you!  I adore grassfed beef liver.

J > If your protein intake stays below a certain amount -- about three
or four pack of cards sized portions a day according to Rosedale -- the
body won't turn protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis.

R> Hmmm...  Do you have any other references on that?

There are many sources that say that dietary carbohydrate consumption is
inessential.  Read "The Rosedale Diet" by Dr. Ron Rosedale for the best
general overview.  He's got a section in his references in the back of
the book called "Benefits of Limited Protein" in which he lists quite a
few studies if you need more specialized references.

Jim