Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 06:48:15 -0700
At 11:26 AM 01/12/2001 -0500, ardeith wrote:

>Forwarded from Gaia-l List.......................

[snip]

>   At the top of the ecologist's tax table -- and highest in his ranking
>   of foods that require the most resources to produce while wreaking
>   more environmental degradation -- are meats from factory-farmed
>   mammals, such as beef, pork and eggs. The same foods are the least
>   healthy when consumed in excess, Pimentel notes.
>
>   To be taxed the least are products at the bottom of humans' food chain
>   -- foods that are more efficiently grown while causing less
>   environmental impact -- such as legumes, grains, vegetables, starch
>   crops, fruits and nuts. People eating plant-based diets generally
>   consume fewer health-care resources, the author maintains.
>****My Opinion.....this is the same story that has been preached
>for many generations......but in my opinion, the diet heavy in
>legumes and grains and starchy foods is a "poverty" diet....
>as in beans and rice, or cornmeal mush......we didn't evolve
>to eat this way.......and our obese, diabetic population
>should prove that to anyone with a lick of sense.....the rest
>of this is the original post.....no opinions from me...........
>Ardeith.................................................*********

So in this plan my higher taxes (wonder if the taxes would be lower for
organic
meat/fowl/fish?) would go to pay the eventual (currently unrecognized) health
bills of the grain eaters, eh? It would be almost worth it to say "I *told*
you
so!"--and have the proof in my receipts.

Debby
in Albuquerque
wondering if I'd get a credit for buying Anchell diet rice...
and if I get a nifty card--Oh, I want to be a card-carrying paleodieter!