From:
Bruce Kleisner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 15:46:05 -0400
"David Karas" wrote:
> Bruce Kleisner:
> > Most "raw" cheeses sold commercially, such as Organic
> > Pastures, reach temps of 135-155 F.
>
> Organic Pastrures does not make cheese. They have five products: whole
> milk, non-fat milk, cream, butter and colostrum. According to the owner,
> they are working on developing a raw cheese but it will not be heated as
> you specified. Where how you got this idea? Were you thinking of another
> brand?

Sorry, I meant to say Organic VALLEY. As with honey, the "raw" label
means almost nothing. Legally, companies can heat food to 160 F and
still call it "raw" food. The U.S. government arbitrarily decided to
set pasteurization temperature (161 F) as the standard. I understand
that other developed nations don't allow such false labeling. In the
U.S., unfortunately, "raw" doesn't always signify "unheated".

-Bruce Kleisner