From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:52:15 -0700
>One of the last letters that Shelton wrote before he died of (I
>think) Parkinson's was to maintain hygienic purity.

The other hygiene 'god' was TC Fry, who died at the ripe old age of,
I believe, 63. The 'die hards' tell us that these two dietary prophets
(profits?) died of ennervation caused by working too hard in their
mission of spreading the "truth". Hah! If they were killed by
ennervation, then I know a number of people who should have passed
away YEARS ago. (Of course, WE know what killed them. Just because we
resemble apes doesn't mean we should eat like them :)

>Maybe raw is better for some maybe cooked for others. We all have to
figure
>out what works best for each of us individually.

A point I've tried to make in the past regarding 'one size fits all'
remarks that have been (too consistently) made on this list. Over 6
BILLION people exist on the planet today. How can anyone believe that
ONE strict version of 'appropriate' eating will work for all of them?
(I like the term 'appropriate' diet rather than Paleo diet because we
simply cannot eat a Paleo diet in modern Neolithic times).

>His theory is that HGs would
>eat raw fruit or veggies during the day (the
>walk-by-the-tree-&-grab theory) then would drag their
>kill home at night and eat massive quantites of it

Actually, before the book was published I ran accross some web pages that
outlined the diet in detail (those pages can no longer be found). And,
you are essentially right about the 'snack during the day and feast at
night' theory. Actually, I think the theory is very plausible - if you
factor in seasonal variances. It's more likely to be right during the
summer months, and less likely during winter months. And, there are a
few hunter-gatherer societies in existence today (and in the past)
who do follow a similar daily routine - carrying food with them to eat
while on the hunt.