From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:15:46 -0400
Hi Ron;

Maintaining the proper acid level  in the body is one of the functions of
homeostasis and, as you indicate, removing calcium from the bones is one of
the means used in order to effect it. That's exactly why it is important to
eat a nutritious diet - to maintain depleting reserves.

http://www.rcjournal.com/contents/04.01/04.01.0328.asp

[...]

Acid-base homeostasis involves chemical and physiologic processes
responsible for the maintenance of the acidity of body fluids at levels that
allow optimal function of the whole individual. The chemical processes
represent the first line of defense to an acid or alkali load and include
the extracellular and intracellular buffers, whereas the physiologic
processes modulate acid-base composition by changes in cellular metabolism
and by adaptive responses in the excretion of volatile acids by the lungs
and fixed acids by the kidneys. The need for the existence of multiple
mechanisms involved in acid-base regulation stems from the critical
importance of the hydrogen ion (H+) concentration on the operation of many
cellular enzymes and function of vital organs, most prominently the brain
and the heart.

[...]

Proponents of the theory that certain foods are necessary in order to help
you maintain this critical balance are basically spinning a new yarn in
order to sell their latest book, IMHO.

Marilyn