From:
Heathen Girl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:25:52 0000
That is definitly a good suggestion. My husband and I right now are setting ground rules for the kids and deciding what is ok and what is not ok. We both have very different views on this subject so we are ironing out the kinks before we present it in full force to the children so that they will not be confused. Since my husband still would like to allow whole grains and many other things that I am not really fond of we are in the compromise stage right now. After that we will probably pack the kids at least snacks during the day for them to eat and tell the daycare to leave off the starches when they are having lunch. My husband and I are also having the great milk debate about the kids right now so who knows what we will end up with there.

The thing that is still hard when we pack them food is hyping it up so they think they are getting something BETTER than the other kids and not missing out on the snacks. On their own they always prefer fruit and veggies to crackers but you get them in a group where 10 other kids are munching grahm crackers and it is a different story. My kids have a lot to deal with besides food as far as being different. Our family is a different religion than most and we have a different structure of living than some kids. I am just trying to balance the social structure for them as well as everything else. Sometimes I worry it will all be to much for them.  Whoever thought this would start at 1 and 4 years old!

Melissa