From:
CJ Segal-Isaacson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 16:38:26 -0700
Low Carbohydrate Weight Loss Diet Survey Announcement

Hello. My name is CJ Segal-Isaacson, EdD, RD. I am a researcher and
nutritionist at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York. I
am very interested in scientifically documenting the effects of low
carbohydrate weight loss diets, especially ketogenic low carbohydrate
weight loss diets.

Last year,  I posted a short survey on ketogenic low carbohydrate diets and
was astonished that 300 low-carbers took the time to answer it in less than
two weeks. This was especially amazing given that I posted the survey just
at the turn of the Millenium, over the holidays when understandably,
peoples' minds might be on other things. One of the striking findings from
that first survey was that many of the respondents had been very
comfortably living a low carb lifestyle for very long periods of time; as
long as 28 years!

The results of this initial survey, as promised, were included in a grant
application to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to study low
carbohydrate diets. Although NIH has since declined to fund the project, a
private foundation has stepped forth to fund the endeavor.

As you probably know, there's been a recent resurgence of interest in low
carbohydrate diets. Given these preliminary results and the experiences of
thousands of people, it's time ketogenic and other low-carb diets were more
thoroughly studied.

The current survey has been modified from the initial Year 2000 survey to
take into account the useful suggestions from the initial participants. It
also covers many more types of low carb diets.

I would very much like to know about your experiences with low carbohydrate
living and have designed a short Web-based survey. I would very much
appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to complete the survey,
especially if you completed the initial survey.

The information from this survey will be used for two purposes: 1) to
document peoples' experiences with low carbohydrate diets for a
peer-reviewed scientific article and 2) to design a national Controlled
Carbohydrate Weight Control Registry, which will be launched in
approximately six months. The purpose of the Registry is to document
people's ongoing experiences with low carbohydrate lifestyles. If you are
interested in participating in the Registry, please include your email
address when you complete the survey.

A summary of the survey results will be forwarded to any respondent who
requests it.

Thanks very much for reading my message. The survey is at:
http://nutrition.aecom.yu.edu/cj/keto1.htm