From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:36:45 -0600
>I am a 29 year old female and I want to tone up. I am also a
>diabetic and I have
>heard that it is a good exercise option. I want to go to a gym but I
>don't want
>to do the usual 6reps, have a rest etc. How do I explain to the
>instructer that
>I want to do the high intensity type training. If I could just start
>with a few
>exercises what should they be?
>
>Are there any good books that anyone can recommend? Maybe I could take one of
>those with me to the gym.

Hi Nic - I've had great results with abbreviated high intensity
training. You can also glean info at:

http://www.hardgainer.com

I highly recommend Stuart McRobert's Beyond Brawn and his companion
volume The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight-Training Technique.

You might want to start out judiciously, focusing on proper technique
with or without an empty bar, with massive (as opposed to isolated)
exercises such squats, dead-lifts, presses and rowing movements. You
may find it easier to ask a trainer to help you determine which
movements suit your body type and musculature.

Cheers,
Jo