From:
Gary Ditta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 21:36:16 -0700
I've made some plain pemmican containing only dried beef and suet and
intend to experiment with it this summer on some moderately high altitude
(6000'-10000') day hikes. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Considering that these will only be about 9 hour day hikes and that I
normally eat a non-ketogenic diet, would the pemmican be expected to
function optimally as sole food source, or would it be better to also eat
some carbs along with it? I ask this because it's my understanding that
transitioning to ketosis frequently takes a bit out of you until your
metabolism completely resets.

2. Generally, in situations where pemmican is used exclusively as food
source for an extended period, does any special consideration have to be
given to keeping the amount of berries or other carb that's added "for
taste" sufficiently low that it will not preclude ketosis?

3. How was pemmican most often used historically? Was it more frequently
used as sole food source for special situations such as travel, winter
shortages, etc where it would function as a ketogenic substrate, or was it
predominantly an everyday supplement to a carb-replete/non-ketogenic diet?

4. Lastly, has anyone actually used pemmican as an exclusive food source
for an extended period of time, and if so, could you please describe:
a) your approx level of carb intake before starting on the pemmican
a) how you felt during the transition to pemmican
b) your overall energy levels before and after starting
c) your activity level while on the pemmican

Thanks for any help,

Gary