From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 05:56:51 -0500
Hi Ken,

some of your statements just forced me to reply even before I read the long
follow-ups to come. :-)

On Sun, 25 Aug 2002 13:37:51 -0700, Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Flax seed is not paleo.

Have you ever seen a flax plant?
It's beautiful and the seeds come in a beautiful package.
You can easily collect them and eat them naked with a stick.
Even without a stick (optionally you can carry a stick with you ;-).

>Also, flax is only advisable for vegetarians.

Why on earth this idea?
Flax is good to equal out long-term defficiencies of LNA in the diet.
Until most of the fat in you body carries some percent of LNA as fatty acid
of the triclycerides. These are the FA's which are set free when body fat is
used.

> Much better to have
>livestock
>eat the flax ...

Is livestock paleo? Certainly not, it's agricultural.

>The conversion of ALA in flax to EPA and DHA does not work very well in
>humans.

... humans ... if they suffer from several kinds of intoxications like
 tFa, alcohol, sugar, excess w-6, excess SFA

>However, ALA is an inhibitor of the delta 6-desaturase enzyme.

I wouldn't have expected a man like Sears, who is occupied with the topic
for years to come out wich such an unqualified sentence.

ALA is the direct substrate D6D works upon.
How can it be simultaneously a inhibitor?
Thats like telling that trypsin (stomach digestor) would be inhibited by
protein. It's not inhibited, it works upon protein.

So far disappointed from Sears

Cheers

Amadeus