From:
"Ron Hoggan, Ed. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 18:57:15 -0700
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, that study is not quite on point. I was
talking about shifting from grain production to truck farming, and asserting
that the production volume, in isolation, would be much greater for
vegetables and fruits.

However, your point about nutrient value is probably a better way to examine
the issue. Frankly, I have difficulty believing that 80,000 pounds of
tomatoes contains only 1/3 more energy (calories) than 3,000 pounds of
grain, but that may be due to the high water content.
In addition to the difference in water content, there are many other
vegetables and fruits to consider. Potatoes, yams, turnips, sweet potatoes,
lettuce, cabbage, radishes, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, etc.
etc. Very few crops, other than berries perhaps, would produce as small a
volume as grains. However, I'd be more interested in micronutrient and
caloric comparisons.

Best Wishes,
Ron