From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:44:45 -0400
Jim, my claim was that it's impossible to lose over 100 lbs without losing some muscle, not that it's impossible under all circumstances. Unless one were to do some very specific exercise to prevent it, musculature will adapt to load conditions. Very heavy people do tend to have quite large calf muscles, since these are needed at every step to propel the body forward in ordinary walking--moreso than even the quadriceps muscles, which in walking do less lifting and more stabilizing. But muscle gain and loss when dieting will depend on other factors as well, such as whether one is under-muscled (relative to one's genetic body type) to begin with. Many people, especially if they've never done any strength training, are under-muscled. I'm not one of them.

At this point, I'm content to stay the course with what I'm doing. As I described before, the whole prostate cancer thing has given me reason to rethink a lot of things. There is a school of thought according to which IGF-1 is a main driver of cancer. Dietary protein is one thing that tends to raise IGF-1, and animal protein may be worse than plant protein in general, by being higher in methionine. I'm aware that a low-protein keto diet is an effective way to deal with this, as is a WFPB diet, which tends to be low in methionine. But I've had a very poor compliance record with low-protein, high-fat keto. In contrast, although I've had a few digressions, I haven't had too much trouble sticking with my current plan for 8 months now.

For lunch I just had a rather large sweet potato, topped with salsa verde, and an apple. I can promise you I won't be thinking about eating again for at least four hours. It wasn't a lot of calories but it was a very satiating meal, and that's the main thing for my situation.

Todd