From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:34:42 +0100

>Date:    Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:01:08 -0500
>From:    Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Containers

>Fran,
>So are you saying that the tomato sauce that the Italians eat is not a good
>thing, the chicken soup so famous for ages with onions and garlic for the
>common cold is a no-no, the equally famous Irish stew is out the window and
>all are considered advanced glycation end products  ?  If so, I think I'll
>quietly open a vein.....   sigh......    Oliva

Don't open your veins yet. AGE's are produced by caramalising the outside of
food - so frying, grilling or roasting at high temperatures is out if you want
to avoid them. So far Irish Stew OK unless you brown the top.

For me Irish Stew would not be a good thing to eat. Due to my previous eating
habits -loads of commercial food containing the additive MSG (its in
everything from boxed cereals to bread, sauces, restaraunt food (not just
chinese), bought pies and sausages, bacon you name it). I got what half or
more than half the world has got, but don't realise - Glutamate toxicity. For
me glutamate toxicity manifested itself in heart arrhythmias which sometimes
induced seizures (in others it comes as arthritis symptoms, migraines, asthma
and even contributes to type 2 diabetes as it affects blood sugar so badly etc
etc).

It took me 20 years to discover the cause - MSG. The elimination of MSG as an
additive led me half way to my paleo eating choice. I started to eat only
fresh whole foods. But from time to time I still got symptoms - especially
reactive hypoglycemia. So I cut out all the grains and potatoes. This helped a
bit but there was more. Every time I ate casseroles or soups made from scratch
my heart would go wonky again. Home made tomato sauce was real bad. I read up
more on free glutamate and realisd that I was making what I was taking great
pains to avoid. So I had to stop them. Then I noticed whenever I ate cheese my
heart would go wonky - realised that milk is very high in glutamate and when
it is made into cheese the glutamate was freed!!

I then realised that what I was eating (as I never liked beans - ever) was a
paleo diet. After searching for more on the paleo diet I found this group.

I therefore cannot eat food that has been cooked or fermented for long periods
of time. It means loosing much that was tasty - but the symptoms were not
worth it. In fact I do not miss it anymore because of my new found health and
have learned to use herbs etc for flavours.

So theres my story..... and if anyone is having ongoing problems such as
arrhthythmias, migraines, asthma etc I would sugest no long cook casseroles,
soups etc and eating quick cook type foods with a lot raw. It turned my life
round. As you can see if your diet has been good all your life then it would
not be a problem from time to time. But unfortunately for me and many others
.... it is.

So that is my take (backed by independant research) on why cooking is perhaps
not as healthy as many would believe.

Fran

   Scotland's Free Internet Service Provider