From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:07:08 -0600
tsayonah wrote:

> therefore: 60 grams/1000 grams = x/2.2 lbs (or 35.2 oz)
>      60(35.2) = 1000x
>      2112 = 1000x  or  2.112 oz of protein a day???

Ummm, all the math looks correct; I think the confusion is
that 2oz of meat does not equal 2oz of protein, even for lean meat.
A 4-oz patty (raw weight) of extra lean beef has 21 grams of protein.
An average chicken drumstick (3 oz cooked) has 14 grams
of protein.  4 oz. cooked shrimp has 24 grams of protein.

I think people vary widely in the nutrient percentages that work for them.
Here are a few:
SAD--carb 60% protein 20% fat 20%
Practically everybody feels like they're starving on this plan.

Vegetarian "health" diet--carb 80% protein 10% fat 10%
which will quickly undermine nearly everyone's health.

Zone--carb 40% protein 30% fat 30%
Following the Zone diet as prescribed in the book makes about an 1100-calorie
diet daily for someone my size and somewhat sedentary, at about 80 grams of
protein.
It wasn't enough for me; I started supplementing with chocolate :->

The following two assume that 20% is about the right amount of protein, and
using your standard 1200-calorie diet.
So whatever is left besides the carb ratio must be fat.
Lowcarb--carb 10% protein 20% fat 70%
Life Without Bread--carb 24% protein 20% fat 56%

If you instead use 25% protein:
Lowcarb--carb 10% protein 25% fat 65%
Life Without Bread--carb 24% protein 25% fat 51%

Note in the Life Without Bread, you get 72 grams of carbs regardless
of your daily amount of food, so the carb percentage would drop with
larger portions.

So much depends on your metabolism, your level of activity, your sensitivity
to insulin, and other factors.  The trick is to find out what works for you
yourself.

    Lynnet