Date:
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 01:32:55 -0500
Sorry for getting a bit off topic, but those who are interested in AIDS might
want to read 'Inventing the AIDS virus'.  Even if you don't agree with the
books main premise (that HIV does NOT cause AIDS) it is still an extremely
interesting read.  Also covers other deceases 'invented' or caused by
medicine. The man who wrote it (Peter Duesberg) comes with impressive
credentials (full Prof. at Berkeley, winner of the 7 year grant from NIH,
I believe he is the first man to discover a cancer gene or some such, my
memory is fading). The books forward is by a recent (in the 90's) Nobel
prize winner who has developed the only test actually capable of detecting
HIV virus itself (rather than antibodies). The other distinguishing
characteristic of the book is the enormous reference section (over 100 pages,
again if memory serves right).

On a personal note - I gave this book to a friend of mine who talked to
his family after reading it. His grandmother confided in him that she is
worried about her life as she has recently been diagnosed as HIV positive.
The woman has been widowed for 20 or more years, the last operation (or
any other kind of blood/fluid exchange) she had was in 1972.  She is
VERY religious and it is a certainty that the has been celibate since
her husbands death. In short, she has had almost no way contract HIV in
the last 20 years, yet she is still alive and healthy, indicating that
she has lived with it for long period of time without ill effects.
One of the things that Duesberg argues in his book is that HIV probably
has been with us for a very long time and the primary way to transmit it
is congenital - from mother to child.

Please don't start arguing about it here - the book is very large and
one can start a whole mailing list just devoted to the discussion of
what's in it.  If interested, just check it out at the library or buy it.

Ilya