Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:09:37 -0500
The following study has been cited by Atkins nutritionals and others, perhaps on this discussion group, as evidence of lack of any adverse impact of reduced carb intake on on endurance athletes.   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=6865776&itool=iconabstr&query_hl=8&itool=pubmed_docsum

Somewhere I was able to get the entire text but I can't find the link now.  It compared cyclists' performance after the test group had two weeks to adapt to a ketogenic diet and found no significant change in endurance.  Some other studies have looked at the same issue but you have to be careful that they give the body time to adjust to fat-burning as the primary energy source.

Not that any of this will change the minds of your vegan friends!

John