From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:31:00 MST
Kathryn wrote:

>The article said that federal officials, who were worried about the fat in
>kids' meals, want to let schools and day-care centers serve more soy
>products as meat substitutes.

Good God Almighty!  When will they grasp the fact that it's all that STARCH
that's fattening our kids?  I'm thinking back to my high school's lame-ass
excuses (if you'll pardon my french) for a nutritious lunch: burger & FRIES,
pizza and FRIES, "chicken" samwich & FRIES, hot dog & FRIES.  The 'main
course' was always more than half bread, accompanied by deep-fried spuds.
No wonder I nearly fell asleep during my German class and grew up to be a
fat chick!

As for soy, I'm no expert.  But after reading "NeanderThin" and doing some
research, including Cordain's work, I'm very worried about its rise in
popularity despite its vitamin and mineral content.  In the past, I was
experimenting with the virtual carb-free soy powder.  Theoretically, it
would be great; lots o' protien, no carbs.  But I noticed that after eating
it, I became bloated.  It could be coincidental, but about the same time I
tried soy powder I also stopped losing weight.  Hmmmmmmm.

Speaking of which, I finally AM losing weight again.  I hereby nominate Ray
Audette as Man of the Century.  As for Cordain, I feel his ongoing research
could make him the Man of the New Millenium!

Dori Zook
Denver, CO