Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 10:54:40 -0400
>>Amadeus  said:
>Look above how it [USDA figures for chicken breast, beef, pork]
accumulates. Just try your own USDA query.
>It's easy and you may, like me, invest the 5 minutes to take that look.
>It's more reliable than learning by heart and estimating.

Rachel:
I was not blindly referring to memory for the figures for fat grams in
chicken breast.  I was using figures in Pennington's FOOD VALUES BOOK---some
of which I have memorized because I use them so much.

Amadeus said:
>80 g of saturated fat per day are pretty much, even for the western
>average. Saturated fats are identified as the culprits promoting some
>deadly diseases. Exactely diseases which are a main killer among
>modern "western" people. Namely cholesterol is raised by saturated fats ,
>(and i did *not* even count the dietary cholesterol).
>Cholesterol *in* the system causes CHD, the main killer.

Rachel:
Perhaps you did not know that if one takes in 80 gram of animal fat per day
from chicken breast, beef, and pork loin, it will not be all SATURATED FAT.

Did you know that 83 grams of chicken breast contains 3 grams of fat; 1.1
grams of this is mono-unsaturated and .9 grams is saturated and .7 grams is
polyunsaturated.  This means that 67% of the fat in chicken breast is
UNSATURATED and 33% is monounsaturated and 26% is polunsaturated.

Guess what?  It's similar for beef fat. Only 47% of the fat in beef is
saturated, primarily stearic acid, af fat that has no effect on cholesterol
levels and actually lowers blood pressure.  Of the remaining fat, about 4%
is polunsaturated.

Btw:  I am well aware of S. Boyd Eaton's work and the fact that wild game
animals are low in fat (similar to chicken breast)... My point is that if a
person (Thrift or someone else) were to eat 80 or 100 grams of fat from
animals per day, it would not be accurate to think/say that he or she is
eating 80 to 100 grams of saturated fat.  Half or more than  half of that
fat would NOT be saturated fat.

Yes the cut of meat on eats makes a difference.  Yes, the balance of fatty
acids in one's diet is important.  (Thrift said he takes fish oil capsules.
)

I am not saying that Thrift's diet is ideal.  In fact, I think it is better
to eat more vegetables.  But the point of my posts was to point out the
fatty acid profile of the fat in animl foods (sat. vs. unsat. fat) And to
say that I have several credible nutrition books which provide lower fat
numbers for chicken breast meat than those you provided.

Rachel