From:
Rob Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:47:33 -0400
> Our inherent intelligence, if it chooses
> to produce cancer, it does so to protect us. This cancer or whatever our
> pathology or symptomatology, helps us survive, despite our
self-destructive
> lifestyle, thinking and spirituality. Our cancer is for our protective
> benefit.

No responsible physician would make such an outrageous statement.

" Cancer is caused by damage to the nucleus of the cell, which is composed
of the genetic material DNA.  DNA controls both the growth of cells, causing
one cell to divide to form two identical new cells, and the specialization
of cells, causing some to become blood cells, others to become liver cells,
and so on.

Certain chemicals have the ability to damage DNA in such a way that the
control it normally exerts over growth and specialization in the cell is
lost.  These chemicals are called carcinogens, or cancer-causing substances.
The damage they cause to DNA results in the formation of new cells that are
abnormal in two ways:

1. They have lost the normal controls over growth and grow wildly, forming a
large mass of cancer cells.

2. They are no longer specialized and are unable to perform the functions
intended for them.  Their normal structure is lost and they are capable of
little more than growth.

The mechanism that causes cells to grow out of control is not fully
understood.  It is known that the genetic material in the cells is damaged
in some way that changes its normal growth and functioning.  The damage,
however, may occur years before the cancer develops.

Another important factor is that scientists are not certain about the exact
mechanism, but believe that some substances act together to cause cancer
where individually they would not.  In some cases, one will prod the other
into action."

source: Occupational Health and Safety, 3rd edition

Rob