From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:33:21 -0500
Thanks Todd for discussing this diet. I started experimenting in the
last few days by fasting during the day, with nothing but water and a
piece of fruit at the most, and then over eating at night.

After the first day, yesterday, I ate a lot including some cheat foods.

Today was the second day for me. I had a very busy day with only about 3
hours of sleep and I functioned very well. I ate basically two dinners:
burgers with non-bean chili, and then veal stew with a yam and swiss
chard. I do not feel tempted to eat cheat foods.

I believe I was not in ketosis today or yesterday but I am not 100% sure
as I only rely upon my own senses and not ketostix.

The rat studies have convinced me. There is a lot of benefit to fasting
and eating infrequently. There is some mechanism beyond cortisol that is
at work here, I think, something very positive and valuable. And I got a
lot of work done today with a clear head, despite my fatigue, not having
to bother with lunch.

The rats only ate every other day in the studies I read about. I am not
sure I'd want to go that far. But it is fun to experiment. My goal is
overall health rather than weight loss, although I wouldn't mind losing
some fat pounds either.

It is very hard to eat the same number of calories as I was eating, and
the same amount of protein -- so I am eating less of both. I sense that
I am losing a bit of muscle also. Tomorrow I will do heavy weightlifting
and see how that goes. AFter that I will take Ori's suggestion and eat a
light meal, probably a tin of sardines and a piece of fruit.

--Richard