From:
Susan Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:27:15 -0700
At 01:54 PM 7/7/99 -0400, Rod wrote:
>        I would prefer to be an ovo-lactarian vegetarian, but am a type O,
>and according to "Eat Right 4 Your Type" I should be a carnivore. And ditto
>according to Atkins and the Paleo diet.  Hmmmnn?

Dear Rod,
When I first read the "Eat Right 4 Your Type" book I got excited because it
seemed that someone had finally found my type: O foods were exactly what I
had found out for myself that I needed, and on any of the other types of
diet I had big trouble. For instance, many attempts had shown me that
vegetarian diets or any kind of diet with dairy did me nothing but harm,
while my digestion of meat and fat from meat has always been perfect.

However, I had not had my blood typed. While putting off getting it done,
I thought to myself, "Well, if I'm NOT type O, then his theory of ABO blood
types is wrong, though there may be something to lectins."

This spring I had blood work done, and I'm A positive. I no longer pay
attention to those lists of foods in "ER4YT" book.

I understand what you are saying about religious scruples, but aside from
eggs and nuts I doubt you'll have much luck. I worried about eating so
much meat, but temporized as best I could. If we eat meat humanely raised
by small producers, with concern for the animals' wellbeing and that of
the land, it's about the best we can do, IMHO. Far more animals have a
chance to live than if we were vegetarian, and they live a better life
than most of those in the wild, who are tormented by parasites, disease,
and predators.

I like buying buffalo, because it means that more land will be given
back to them, and because, since they aren't docile, they aren't likely
to end up crammed into feedlots.

Susan Kline