From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 21:49:26 +1000
A relative of mine is an international senior triathlete 68 years old, and
very keen to try the paleodiet. He has trouble getting up to 7,000kcal per
day of food intake. Unfortunately, he is severely allergic to metabisulphite
(therefore cannot take commercial dried fruit- we won't ask him to make it
himself for reasons I won't go into). Any suggestions would be welcome. I've
suggested that he will get a lot of the benefits of paleo (but not all) by
eating 8-10 pieces of fruit per day. I've posted his email to me below.

However, my training went backwards and on the bike I could not
keep up with people who I had easily bettered in the past.  The lack of
glycogen being the obvious course of my heart rate being low.  Also, my
lets were heavy in running and at times deteriorated.  Every run being
an effort.

Bread and grains are a good source of glycogen.  So is fruit and sugar.
I presently have to get 600 - 700 grams of carbohydrate a day to train
twice a day.  I get this by :-

Fruit - 5 grams;
Grains - 120 grams;
Bread - 240 grams;
Pasta - 120 grams;
Rice - 120 grams;

I do not think it possible to get 600 - 700 grams / day of carbohydrate
from root vegetables and honey and vegetables and fruit without severe
diarrhoea.  Therefore end of story regrettably.  Any suggestions !