From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 06:48:55 -1000
Moira:
>What about caviar, just curious, do any of you use it in the paleo diet?
>Would this be nutritious for my son? Thanks in advance.

Caviar and other processed roes (salted, pastuerized) are probably very
nutritious foods. IMO, roes are among the most powerful and nutritious
foods this blue planet offers up.

We enjoy fresh roes, straight from the sacs when buying fish whole (what a
"pearl" to find roe waiting). Sometimes fresh roe sacs are available from
fishmongers. When they aren't tasting attractive fresh, we have had great
luck drying the sacs (one cut through the membrane speeds the process) on a
wire mesh infront of a fan (which is our preferred method of aging fish
fillets as well). The dried roe then tastes something like the crispies one
finds at the bottom of a bucket of fish and chips. ;) If you have a taste
for it. I have read that traditional Eskimos dried salmon eggs for feeding
their kiddies during the winter--highly prized and I have tasted why ;)
Indeed, we prefer our raw seafood according to the Eskimo method ("high"
and aged) over the more delicate and boring "as fresh as possible" Japanese
method.

BTW, years ago in Wisconsin we found (from a fish wholesaler with a retail
outlet, Empire Fish) as much walleye roe from Canadian "farms" as we could
eat during the season (I forget when exactly) for a couple dollars a pound.
Later, after a sveral pounds of this roe had been eaten over the course of
a month or so, I read that walleye roe was toxic. Oh well...;)

And let's not forget the roe in sea urchins (called uni at sashimi
places--but usually frozen which degrades the roe quite a bit). In my roe
experience, fresh sea urchin roe is the finest flavored roe. We sometimes
collect urchins scuba diving and make a hell of a mess on the lava rocks
here in Hawaii. Every urchin is different and the roe (of fish as well)
tastes very different at different stages of maturity...

Roe, roe, roeing,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft