From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 11:38:19 -0400
>I found this article frustratingly dismissive.  Gursche didn't even
>seem to consider the possibility that eating a grains and legumes-
>based diet could cause health problems.  I'd like to encourage
>Canadians to write to the Editor and share their experience with
>following a paleo diet.  I wish that people who ran a health magazine
>were interested in things that truly made people healthy, not just in
>creating a culture that supports the purchase of dietary supplements.

Hi Jana;

The Editor (Siegfreid Gursche), though, says that;

"What has really happened in the last 200 years is that our food has been
denaturalized by the milling of grains and the removal of fibre along with
minerals, vitamins, germ oils and other minor nutrients. The refined
vegetable oils, the artificially hardened fats such as vegetable shortening
and margarine with the deadly trans fatty acids, are to be blamed for the
rapid increase if degenrative diseases, cancer and heart diseaes. The author
does not differentiate between natural and refined, processsed foods".

He also quotes one of Cordain recipes in which two tablespoons of flax oil
are poured onto a baking dish and then covered by steaks and goes on to say
(Gursche) that anyone who is familiar with Budwig, Erasmus and others should
know that cold pressed oils used in that manner will turn from a "healing
oil into a killing oil when exposed to heat".

He (Gursche) may be right here although I know that Flax Council of Canada
has found that flax oil used in muffins did not change and remained
healthful for eating. One would have to know the actual temperature of the
oil. Also, there might be a difference since oil at the bottom of a dish
would be fully exposed to full oven temperature.

If anyone has the Cordain book it would be interesting to know what
temperature is quoted.

Marilyn