Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:02:17 GMT
>    Quoth KATHRYN:
>
>    o  Raspberry leaf tea...  I ... use it ea. month and know that many
>    dog breeders use it for their bitches to ensure as painfree a whelp as
>    possible.

Bitches' estrus cycles are not especially like human females' menstrual cycles.
And humans aren't apes, no matter how many parallels are drawn or DNA
percentages matched up. Any romanticized dietary analogies are probably
out the window as well. Humans stopped being apelike zillions of years ago
(how's that for nonspecific! ;-> )

>    o  Cinnamon bark invigorates the blood, helps regulate the menstrual cycle
>    and checks flooding.  Chew a stick.
>
>    o  Essential fatty acids can be used to sedate heavy flow.

Do you have studies describing what "tonify" means? OFTM invigorate, regulate
flood or sedate? These sound like vague, nonspecific terms in herbalist jargon.

And to reiterate an earlier post, taking extra EFAs can be unhealthful in
the absence of sufficient selenium and niacin -- biochemical concepts
seemingly outside the weed-picker's paradigm.

>    o  Ensure you get enough (but not too much) zinc, copper and iodine.
>
>    o  Avoid large doses of aspirin and Vit. C.

A neverending point of contention is what constitutes "large." The USFDA says
anything above 60 mg of "Vit. C" is a waste, whereas doses of >100000 mg/day
have been taken by gravely ill subjects with no side effects. I have taken
5-20 grams ascorbate/day for the last 22 with none of the dire consequences
that medical science puts forth by innuendo, conjecture & outright lies.

But man o man is this side-thread off-topic! That soapbox left splinters
in my feet. Ouch.

Getting back to what Annie said:

>    ...I am in ketosis -- my diet consists of meat, fish, chicken, vegetables,
>    few eggs, olive oil, very few seeds, and no fruit for now until I lose some weight.

One of the first thing that a Paleoid has to learn is to UNlearn the old
saws like about how eating fat makes you fat. Many Paleoids, myself included,
will state flatly that this is not true. Since I tossed out that can of Pam
4 months ago and began cooking lotsa MEAT with generous dollops of bacon
fat and/or coconut oil, I have lost that pound a year I put on over the
last 20 years.

Another tip is that when you are hungry, you can do the "diet" thing and
suffer, or do the Paleo thing and EAT. Just make sure the food's not Forbidden.

>   (Everyone in my family  -- both parents and my brother -- have diabetes, so
>   I am trying to avoid that fate.

I hear you. Both by mother's sibs had/have diabetes.

>   I find that I cannot just eat a few pieces of fruit or any sugars for that
>   matter. Rather, I tend to gorge on anything with sugar.  So for now, no fruit.)

I understand your reasoning, but it might be a bit off. Many Paleoids will
say that after the "conversion" to protein/fat burning, eating normal sweets
or dried fruit can become an unbearably cloying experience. I enjoy a bite
of date and a bowl of fresh fruit for dessert now & then, yet I still
maintain my new weight. It can serve as a weight regulator if you begin
to shed weight too quickly -- more than a few lbs/week. Some fruits'
horrible sweetness tends to limit intake (I can't stand raisins now).

Time of day seems to make a difference too. Mostly meat & fat for
breakfast will provide a steady burn well into the midday mealtime,
(incidentally an old body builders' trick) when vegs and more protein
& fat are served up. Many will wait till the day's last meal before
eating fruit.

BTW unless you are taking supplements -- depends on how strict your
Paleo adherance is -- you might be headed into deficiency-ville.
Does your choice of vegs include sufficient "vitamin C"? If that
broccoli has been sitting around for more than a few days, its "C"
content may be near zero, the FDA's food tables notwithstanding.
I might hazard to say that some fruits probably retain their "C"
longer than many vegs, so avoiding fruit long-term may be imprudent.

Good luck & stay the course! The less sweet you eat the less appealing
it becomes.