From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 13:14:21 EDT
Hi Maddy,

<<Sadly, you did buy the wrong book. That book was primarily intended as a
weight loss book, and there are some things the doctors wrote in that book
that they have since completely changed their minds about. The book you want
is "The Protein Power LIFEPLAN", by the same authors.>>

Drat.  I'll order the other one.  What did they change their minds about?

<<It is not yet a well known fact, but Celiac Disease can result in
mental illness as well is gastrointestinal disorders.>>

There is information about that in Elaine Goschall's book, "The Specific
Carbohydrate Diet".  Are you familiar with that book?  It's about a diet for
treating inflammatory bowel disease that is bizarrely similar to what Ray
Audette recommends.  The only substantial difference is that the diet include
no-lactose dairy (butter, 24-hour yogurt, aged cheese).  But the rationale
for this diet arises from a completely different place--the inability of the
small bowel to break down complex carbohydrates.  So disaccharides and
polysaccharides are forbidden (for the most part--there are some
inconsistencies).  It's fascinating to me that Ray Audette arrived at an
almost identical diet to treat the same disease, but using a completely
different rationale.

<<Do you happen to have that link [on lectins] handy? I would be interested
in reading it.>>

Here it is:

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

     - Sheryl