From:
Eric Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 14:11:45 -0700
Over the weekend, I got another version of the Tanita
scales -- this one with athlete mode.

The box says the scales have high correlation with the
most accurate forms of measurment (e.g. immersion), but
there is a huge difference between "athlete" mode and
"normal" mode.

There is an interesting calibration factor at work, that
I still don't really understand. They say the scales are
not accurate for weight lifters or competition (full-time
&/or professional) athletes. On the other hand, if you've
done enough exercise to acquire high density muscles,
"athlete" mode is supposed to be more accurate than
"normal".

So...
  In athlete mode, by body fat measures 16.5%, which
  yields about 182lbs of LBM.

  In normal mode, on the other hand, body fat measures
  26.5%, which yields about 162lbs of LBM.

Weight in both cases is the same. But there is one massive
difference in body fat percentage! I'd like to think that
16.5% is accurate. But is it? How in the heck do I tell???
(I wish I knew of someone who does full immersion testing.
Maybe I could try correlating with the chart at the back
of the Zone book??)