From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:22:13 -0700

> >I'm also curious about the paleo side of this.  Why
> >> wouldn't paleo man hunt
> >> during moonlight hours?
>
> He would have been eaten. Other carnivores had much
> better night vision, were
> faster and had much bigger teeth. Plus we wouldn't
> have been able to see to
> aim our spears, etc.

I have been posting very 'off-topically' as of late,
and I'll make this the last one for awhile.

Last night my family and I went on a fundraiser for a
local science center. It was called the "Starlight
Express". We boarded one of the few remaining trains
in this area and were whisked away to a very dark star
viewing area.

One thing I noted, and I had not really thought about
this for years, is how much you can really see at
night by starlight. Once your eyes become accustomed
to the darkness it really is very easy to make out
shapes and see a lot of detail. It is even possible to
read larger print. And sometimes when the moon is out
it can almost seem like dusk or pre-dawn.

Clearly (pun) light enough to perform a lot of
activities, including hunting.

I reject the notion that early humans were too scared
of nighttime predators to venture out. Predators tend
to avoid other predators. And, I think we gave up
being easy prey a long, long time ago :)

http://health.yahoo.com