From:
Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:07:33 -0600
From: "Adrienne Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
limited to no more than 1 gram per kilogram of bodyweight and sufficient
fat should be eaten.  When he tried a high unlimited lean protein (trimmed
veal) regime on himself, he found that his own hypo symptoms worsened and
he had to increase his thyroid meds.  This did not happen when he lowered
protein.  He says that the medical literature shows that excessive protein
uses up thyroid hormone very quickly but unfortunately, he did not
reference the study in a footnote.  Anyway, Jan Kwasniewski MD also speaks
>of metabolic problems caused by "too much" protein.  He also prescribes no
>more than 1 gram of protein per kilogram of "ideal" bodyweight, and dietary
>fat is to be kept at around 70%-80%

Excellent posts on this subject, thanks to all, but shouldn't the protein
levels correspond to present weight and adjust as you lose your weight?  If
someone weighs well over their ideal weight they won't be getting enough
calories to sustain them. If you only have ten pounds to lose then the
protein would apply to ideal weight but for someone who is insulin resistant
and has to lose over sixty pounds it wouldn't be prudent for them to eat at
their ideal weight...... I know it wouldn't have worked for me in the past.
Today it's workable......  Oliva